Monday, 06 July 2009

Camp Khwai in Moremi - nearly time

It's almost that time again - the Britzs and Pikes (with 1 more) are off into the bush again - and I cannot wait. It's quite scary that we almost live from holiday to holiday - or am I the only one that does this? "Existing" at work to get the shekels together for the next break. Some feedback on this point would be interesting.

So, we're off to Botswana again, possibly one of my favourite countries in the world. This time to Moremi, in the Okavango. Possibly a little more organised than before - we're going with the FWDCSA and they're doing all of the arrangements and the food for breakfast and supper.

The trusty steed (my beloved Prado in case you didn't know) has received another little upgrade. This time Old Man Emu shocks, front and rear, with an extra coil spring at the rear for the trailer. Those of you that read of our Caprivi jaunt would have remembered me talking about the need for this. (yes - it is a need) However, that extra 6cm's height also makes it look SO cool. Having already been with the Britzs to Qwantani, at the Sterkfontein Dam, the vehicle was really loaded and already I can attest to the success of the suspension upgrade. What a good ride, but what a kak place. Definitely a case of "been there, done that". Great chalets and pubs, but not much around other than wind.

After attending a 4x4 Recovery course I also added a high-lift jack - having been convinced that it is a very necessary piece of equipment. I know what you're going to say now so - yes - it also looks SO cool. Problem though, I have to now remove the accessories for the vehicle to fit in the garage. I could leave it out, but Joburg is bollock freezing cold at the moment and I have no wish to climb into a frozen car in the morning.

Those of you that know the Pike family (of Granny's Abrahamson descent) will not be surprised to know that we're already almost finished packing - days before we go - and the beers already in the fridge (that's from Dumpy's side). Nes's (new Indian name "Trips while running with dogs") arm is out of plaster, so things are looking good.

Hank is joining us for this jaunt. I think his reading of my blogs have got him to the point that he can't resist anymore. We're really looking forward to this as we haven't had much time for anything other than fleeting visits for quite a long time. I have already told the others in the convoy that he will be joining, but haven't yet broken the news that he is a Sharks supporter. I hope that this isn't a problem.

So, we're soon off. There has apparently been so much water there that we're not quite sure what to expect - and that makes it even more exciting. Luckily my co-driver is taller than usual this time, so he can check out the water beforehand. We know that we'll have animals in the camp site, and that the ablutions are rudimentary enough (being supplied by ourselves and the guide), and that we have to take our own water. (Needless to say, I do have 20l of mineral water for whisky - the rest I'm less worried about.) It's sounding better and better. The kid's are staying at home, though I'm not too sure whether that is thankfully or reluctantly.

Wish us luck and watch this space.

No comments: